Book Review: Legend

Legend (Legend #1)
by Marie Lu
Hardcover, 305 pages
Published November 29th 2011 by Putnam Juvenile
ISBN 039925675X (ISBN13: 9780399256752)
Challenge: Dystopia Reading Challenge
Source: Bought

Summary:

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


Review:

Marie Lu's Legend was like a dream come true. Okay, that sounds a bit exaggerated, but still. I've always wanted to read a book about enemies that turned into lovers. Although the enemies part was one-sided, it still had (albeit) the same effect on me. I never really paid attention to the book's description before I picked it up, or before I added it onto my wishlist. So I was surprised when I finally started reading this.

The first surprise came in the form of a thief called Day. After reading Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief series, I developed a soft spot for smart thieves. There's just something so amusing about how they outwit other smart people. Especially if they have a good heart. The second surprise came in the form of the Republic's child prodigy called June. June oozed with mischief. I thought she and Day would become really good friends if given the chance. However, the tragedy that struck next, made it somehow impossible.

I like how observant June is. She can deduce something about every move you make. I don't know if there's really like that in real life, but still, she awed me. She was like a Sherlock Holmes. Day is perceptive too, not so much as June but in his own way. He steals only because of his family who doesn't even know that he's still alive, except for his brother, John. And then, there's Tess. Day took her under his wing after seeing her scavenging garbage. She's very adorable and loyal to Day.

The only thing I didn't like about Legend is Day and June's age. I'd make them older by a couple of years if I had the chance, which apparently I don't. But other than that, Legend was like an early Christmas present. I didn't think expect it to be great, but somehow, it was just that. Great, I mean. It is compelling and enthralling, the plot is fast-paced and the characters are lovable. I was literally bouncing with joy as I read the book. Legend is definitely recommended to both dystopian lovers and non-lovers alike.

Rating: 5/5 stars!

3 comments:

  1. wooohoooo! excellent review my dear! Im so freaking glad you loved it as much as I! Your review does justice to the awesomeness of this book!! yay!!

    Happy Holidays!
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chel, this review mirrors my thoughts exactly! Lol, I want more books about smart thieves :) I can't wait to see what will happen next with June and Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! I'm going to read this one first thing next year. Very exciting review.

    ReplyDelete

Internet high-five for every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com