Book Review: To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before
by Jenny Han
Release date: April 15th 2014
Published by: Simon & Schuster
Source: Borrowed
Purchase: Amazon

Synopsis:
Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her.

They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her, these are ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.

I have been avoiding To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before for so, so long because I dislike love triangles and the blurb of this book doesn’t just scream love triangle, but love hexagon! I have to thank my friend for lending me a copy in spite the fact that I specifically told her that I didn’t want to read the title (she slipped the copy into the bag with the rest of the books I borrowed from her) because upon reading the book, I found myself unable to suppress the giggling, the aww’s and the satisfied sighs. I couldn’t even put the book down because it was so absorbing!

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a very light read. It’s cute and fun, and Lara Jean is a main character that is easy to get attached to. Actually, almost all characters here are very lovable - the members of the Covey family – Lara Jean, Kitty, Margot, and Dad. And also Peter! And even Josh to an extent.

The Covey family dynamics, for me, is a special one. I loved the focus Jenny Han gave to this family. Without being overly dramatic, it was one of the most vital elements in the story apart from the romance. And I think the sisterhood between Lara Jean, Kitty and Margot is a riot! Kitty is easily my favorite character besides Lara Jean, however I think Kitty is the most interesting character overall. She’s the youngest of the sisters and her innocence is admirable but you can’t deny that she has some sense of maturity in her. I thought Margot needed a little more spotlight because she was the least present sister since she is studying abroad and only came back during the holidays. However, even with her being absent most of the time, Margot is still an important character in the fiasco that Lara Jean has put herself into.

Still, my most favorite part of the book is the relationship between Lara Jean and Peter. They are just so cute and I’m a HUUUUUGE sucker for cute romance! Well, I’m not a sucker for a girl and a boy pretending to be in a relationship to get at his/her ex or for whatever reason, BUT! It totally worked for both Lara Jean and Peter. I melt at every interaction between them. I don’t even mind the non-ending because while reading the book, I was also skimming the sequel so upon reaching the final page of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, I already knew who was going to end up with who.

One other reason why I was hesitant at first in reading this was because the blurb gives off the feeling that the plot would center around school bullying what with Lara Jean’s letters being mailed around. I’ve nothing against those kinds of plot, but I’m just not ready for that kind of drama. Thankfully, the boys who got the letters aren’t that kind of assholes and thankfully, while the letters are another important aspect that shaped the story, it is not entirely the focus of the book.

If you’re feeling sad or in a reading slump, I highly recommend reading To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. It’s short and sweet and a very absorbing read!

Rating: 4.5/5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this book was a fun read. Lara was someone I could relate to and I loved the family dynamics featured in this one. Lol, I'd love to be adopted into the Covey family.

    ReplyDelete

Internet high-five for every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com