Waiting on Wednesday (33): Side Effects May Vary

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly bookish meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine

My WoW:

Side Effects May Vary
by Julie Murphy
Hardcover, 304 pages
Expected publication: March 18th 2014 by Balzer + Bray

Book Description:

What if you’d been living your life as if you were dying—only to find out that you had your whole future ahead of you?

When sixteen-year-old Alice is diagnosed with leukemia, her prognosis is grim. To maximize the time she does have, she vows to spend her final months righting wrongs—however she sees fit. She convinces her friend Harvey, whom she knows has always had feelings for her, to help her with a crazy bucket list that’s as much about revenge (humiliating her ex-boyfriend and getting back at her arch nemesis) as it is about hope (doing something unexpectedly kind for a stranger and reliving some childhood memories). But just when Alice’s scores are settled, she goes into remission.

Now Alice is forced to face the consequences of all that she’s said and done, as well as her true feelings for Harvey. But has she done irreparable damage to the people around her, and to the one person who matters most?

Julie Murphy’s SIDE EFFECTS MAY VARY is a fearless and moving tour de force about love, life, and facing your own mortality.

Harvey laughed to himself in a sad way and rubbed his eyes. “You want me to help you with a list of things you won’t disclose to me.” He leaned forward and bit the skin around his thumb. “Classic.”
“You won’t regret it.”
“But—”
“Harvey,” I said, my voice low. “Trust me.”
I knew what this looked like. It looked like I was using Harvey. But here was the reality of the situation: the minute my life went from semi-permanent to most likely temporary, I decided to latch on to everything in my world that had always been permanent, and for me, Harvey was so permanent he was concrete.

Cancer is a no-no topic for me with my books. I almost did not finish reading the summary when I first read the word "leukemia" but good thing I found it in my heart to finish the whole thing because I basically laughed out lout when I read the entire synopsis. My word, I don't know if I should pity the girl or be happy for her, lol.

21 comments:

  1. I already have this one on my to-read list and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Awesome pick! I hope you enjoy reading it.
    Come check out my WOW post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of John Green's The Fault is in Our Stars with the themes of love, life, and facing one's own mortality.
    Come check out my WoW post here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will add to my list!

    Check out our WOW of this week.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so amazing! Adding this one to my TBR. It reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars :') Thanks for sharing!
    -Becca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the cover and the story sort of reminds me of the fault in our stars, so it might be a really good book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely an interesting concept.

    Thanks for visiting my WoW this week.

    WoW Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover and the book does sound interesting. Thanks for stopping by my WoW Chel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool pick. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-69-snow-in-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one reminds me of The Fault in Our Stars! :) Thanks for sharing! :D

    Here's my WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I typically stay away from books that deal with cancer as well Chel, as beautiful as I know so many of them are, they're just too heavy and too realistic for me and I crave that escape. This sounds like something I little different though, and I'm definitely curious to see how things work out with Harvey! Fabulous pick:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm looks pretty intersting

    Thanks for sharing (:

    Check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore Julie, and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Side Effects. GREAT pick!

    Mary @ Mary Had a Little Book Blog
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tend to stay away from books like this. Too close to home for me, and I become a blubbering mess. Great pick, I hope you enjoy it.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard of this one too but like you, I don't like reading about cancer. So I may have to wait to see what other people say about this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is one of my most anticipated books for 2014, so we're of like minds! :)

    -Jess

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to agree with cookiebooklover; it does sound a bit like The Fault in Our Stars... O_o
    I don't usually like reading depressing books, though.

    ~sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got this one on my wishlist too because it sounds like it has the potential to be more funny than serious. I love books dealing with serious illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like I'll like the book. Cute cover, great plot :D

    Jules of Jules Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha omg I was so not expecting that twist in the blurb this could be a really fun read!! I love drama like this! >.< (not in real life - or at least not when it's me bahah)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't heard of this one, so thanks for throwing it on my radar! It sounds promising!(:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, this one sounds like it's going to be really interesting and fun! I can't wait to see what she had on her bucket list!
    Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete

Internet high-five for every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com